Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Early Morning Trip to the Dog Park

I try and take Wicket to the dog park every day because we don't have a yard and he loves to play fetch ( he puts retrievers to shame). Last night it was raining and I was tired so we skipped it. This morning at 6:00, I opened the back door and Wicket ran full speed in the direction of the dog park about a quarter of a mile away. I took off after him, forgetting that I was wearing a bright pink bathrobe and matching slippers. I ran after him calling his name. Occasionally he would turn around and wag his tail and then run again. We ran the entire quarter of a mile and I had not even had my coffee yet. I have never seen a Shih Tzu run that fast, ignoring everything around him. He was obviously on a mission. I kept running imagining my 10 lb dog getting eaten by mountain lions, bears or foxes ( we live backed up to the foothills in Colorado). Out of breath I finally reached the dog park gate and there was my little Wicket, sitting nicely like he was taught waiting patiently to be let in.
I learned 2 things this morning.


1. Wicket does not have the best recall, we need to work on that

2. don't miss his trip to the dog park

1 comment:

  1. You can also teach them not to run out tge door- we taught Marble ... She still has no recall tho :(

    ReplyDelete